Progressive WebApp and WordPress
The Internet is the primary medium of communication nowadays, and websites are becoming the online identity of any enterprise. In the web world, WordPress has a vast market share starting from simple blogs to e-commerce and APIs. But sometimes, just sometimes, browsing a website is not what we want; we’re not looking to waste time on the internet. In this mobile-first world, the desired user experience is more like:
- Phone out of the pocket
- Achieve an immediate goal.
- Phone back in the pocket.
- Resume life.
Although WordPress offers a scalable and secure solution for the website unfortunately not all WordPress sites have an app in Play Store. Having poor or no internet connectivity often becomes the primary obstacle to getting the user to the site. But there is a way to avoid this disappointing event. PWA – Progressive Web Apps with WordPress is an easy and handy fix to this problem. You can have an app on your phone with the same features, and even without internet connectivity, the user experience remains the same as browsing the live website.
Now a question arises- why does someone need PWA while they have a website? Few simple reasons are :
- Fast: 53% of users abandon a site if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load! And once loaded, users expect them to be fast—no janky scrolling or slow-to-respond interfaces.
- Engaging: Progressive Web Apps are appealing to a user as it gives an app-like feel. It is installable on mobiles without the need to visit Play Store. PWA offers an immersive full-screen experience and can even re-engage users with web push notifications.
- Reliable: As PWA is installable in phones, it gets to add a home screen icon to the user’s phone. Once launched from the user’s home screen, it loads instantly, regardless of the network state. By pre-caching the resources eliminates the dependency on internet connectivity.